Sunday, June 3, 2012

the coffee shop regulars

A while back I worked at a coffee shop.  One of the best places I could ever work I think and I loved every minute of it.  Even the busy, I need my coffee now people were fun and easy to please.  And gosh when you hand them that cup and tell them to have a nice day, their entire world has just changed for the better.

I've always wanted to become a regular somewhere.  (granted I dont know that I've ever been in one place long enough to make that happen but one day) I just think there is something so special about walking in and everyone knowing your story and your life and what you like and don't like.  Being at home, away from home.

Every day around 11:30 Don would come in.  Don is an older gentleman and when I first started working I knew he was a regular but he wasn't the personal type.  He would get his small 1/2 caf latte and be on his way with a few hello's here and there.  I learned his name and every time he came in I was excited to see him, just because I knew he was familiar and I wanted to meet and chat with him.  As the months passed Don became a frequenter of not only the shop but the other side of my counter.  He would sit at the bar and chat with me as I made his drink.  About family, weather, his day.  These moments easily became some of my favorite at work.  And it was just that...a very small moment.

I've since realized that Don and I did something for each other.  I helped him feel more at home in a place he went almost every day and he helped me realize that moments are so small but can make the best out of someone's day.

So here's to 1/2 caf latte's and small, day changing moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment